January is the month of New Year’s Resolutions. Many will follow a resolution through January but may drop it soon after. Don’t be a quitter! Here are some tips to help you power through and fulfill your resolution.
Get In Shape
Losing weight is the top resolution for Americans.
Try to incorporate these tips into your daily habits to help with your weight loss goals.
1. Weight Vs. Fat
- Remember a pound of fat weights as much as a pound of muscle, but muscle takes up less room in your clothes and adding muscle will raise your metabolism and keep your body-fat percentage low.
2. Trash the Scale
- Don’t be so attached to your body weight, instead measure your BMI or body fat.
3. Check your progress weekly rather than daily
- Take weekly pictures to watch your progress rather than getting discouraged by daily measurements due to the lack of progress. Also, take your picture/measurements on the same day around the same time every week for consistency.
4. Track your food intake with an App
- The MyFitnessPal app allows you to manage your meal plans and exercise. It allows you to scan UPC codes of items that you eat to automatically input the nutrition information.
5. Replace your unhealthy snacks with healthy snacks
- If you don’t have unhealthy snacks readily available you are less likely to eat them. Try granola bars/protein bars that have a low fat/carbs to protein ratio.
6. Stay hydrated
- Sometimes your body will signal that you are hungry when you are actually dehydrated. When a snack attack comes try drinking a large glass of water and waiting 30 minutes before diving into eating.
7. Set realistic goals
- Setting realistic goals helps to reduce the amount of discouragement during your process. Don’t say “I will work out for two hours 7 days a week”. Instead shoot for “I will work out for an hour 3 days a week” you then have wiggle room to eventually increase.
Start Eating Healthier
1. Learn how to control emotional eating
- Eliminate junk food from your pantry, if it’s not there you can’t eat it!
- Distract yourself, you’re not hungry you’re just bored.
2. Be aware of why diets can fail
- Commitment issues
- Inadequate sleep, get those ZZZ’s!
- Poor timing of meals, no a midnight snack does not count.
- Underestimating calories consumed
- Overestimating calories burned
Learn to be happier with your life
1. Reduce Stress
2. Be patient and do not let problems bring you down
3. Enjoy the little things that bring you happiness
1. Build a strong support system
- Let them know exactly what you need from them; keep you away from cigarettes, distract you, let them help you instead of being stubborn
2. Cut back before cutting out completely!
- Start by cutting down a couple a day for a week then cut down more each consecutive week
3. Drink water and chew fennel seeds
- Fennel helps eliminate water from the body so by drinking water and chewing fennel will help detox your body more quickly
4. Let’s get physical, physical
- Join a group exercise class and gain support/encouragement inside the social group.
GOOD LUCK and HAPPY NEW YEAR from your At Home Team!