September means the start of football! We all gather to watch our favorite teams play and eat some delicious grub while doing so! Check out healthy alternatives to these classic tailgating favorites;
Instead of frying your buffalo wings try baking them!
Unbelievable Baked Wings: Prep 15 min Cook 30 min Total 45 Min
Found on: http://www.food.com/recipe/unbelievable-baked-buffalo-wings-155021
• 1 lb Chicken Wings
• 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
• 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
• 1 tablespoon Salt
• ½ Cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
• 1 tablespoon margarine
1. Fill a large pot half way with water and then add the first 4 ingredients.
2. Bring water mixture and wings to a boil and then boil for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer wings to an oven safe container coated with cooking spray. Bake wings on “Broil” (high) for 15 minutes on each side. (For crispier wings, cook longer on each side, maybe 20 minutes per side).
4. While waiting for wings, combine the Hot Sauce and Margarine in a microwave safe container and cook in microwave for 2 minutes or until melted. (You can cook the sauce longer for a thicker sauce).
5. When wings are done, shake ‘em up with the sauce and enjoy!
If you want a very healthy alternative to Buffalo Wings try Buffalo Cauliflower
Healthy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites: Prep 5 Min Cook 25 Min Total 30
Found On: http://www.galonamission.com/healthy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites/
• 6 cups of fresh cauliflower florets
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• a pinch of salt
• a pinch of pepper
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• ¾ cup Frank’s RedHot hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place cauliflower on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil, or olive oil.
2. Mix together the garlic powder, salt, pepper, melted butter, and hot sauce in a small bowl.
3. Add the cauliflower into a large gallon-sized bag, pour the buffalo sauce into the bag. Shake until the cauliflower florets are fully coated. Spread onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Healthy Seven Layer Dip Total: 20 min
Found On: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/219893/skinny-seven-layer-dip/
• 1 (8 oz) container fat-free sour cream
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, finely diced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
• 1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning
• 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 2 avocados-peeled, pitted, and mashed
• 3 cups sredded lettuce
• 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 (11 oz) cans Mexican style corn, drained
• 1 cup chunky salsa
• 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
• 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced black olives, drained
• ¼ cup sliced green onions
• 1 Roma (plum) tomato, chopped
1. Mix together the sour cream, garlic, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, taco seasoning, hot pepper sauce, and 1/2 of the lemon juice in a bowl until well blended.
2. In another bowl, mash the avocado with the remaining lemon juice; set aside.
3. Spread the shredded lettuce over a 12-inch serving platter.
4. Layer the black beans evenly on top, followed by the Mexican-style corn.
5. Spread the prepared sour cream mixture over the corn.
6. Gently spread the avocado mixture on top of the sour cream.
7. Pour the salsa evenly over the avocado mixture.
8. Sprinkle the Mexican cheese blend, olives, green onions, and tomato on top.
Instead of ordering in pizza try this Cauliflower Pizza Crust and add your own toppings!
Chef John’s Cauliflower Pizza Crust: Prep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Total: 1 hour
Found On: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236600/chef-johns-cauliflower-pizza-crust/
• 1 head Cauliflower, cored and separated into florets
• ½ cup Water
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• 2 ounces Fresh Goat Cheese
• ½ ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
• 1 large Egg
• 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Puree cauliflower in a food processor until finely ground
3. Cook ground cauliflower, water, and salt together in a skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and most of the water evaporates, 5 to 6 minutes. Cool completedly.
4. Transfer cauliflower to the center of a clean dish towel. Wrap and squeeze tightly to remove all excess moisture. You should have about 1 ½ cups cauliflower pulp
5. Stir cauliflower, goat cheese, parmigiana-reggiano cheese, egg, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl to form a soft dough. Gather dough into a ball and place in the center of the prepared baking sheet. Press dough into circle about ¼ inch thick.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and set, about 40 minutes. Cool and turn crust over before topping